Every other week, I hold a JOURNAL CLUB. After manually filtering through the millions of articles out there on the web, I present a few that impacted my life this month.
Here’s our Journal Club for the week, enjoy!
- Everyone has their own personal reason behind their journey to financial independence, but I think for the most part, many FIRE seekers agree that they want to enjoy their life now and not risk waiting until they're 65 only to come across health problems or other things that prevent them from enjoying retirement. Retire by 40 feels similarly and shares a personal angle in “Why Retiring at 65 is a Terrible Idea”
- With the rapid growth of this movement, XRAYVSN wonders “What If Everyone in the World FIRE'd?” An interesting discussion on what motivates us to work after we “have won the game”.
- Dads Dollars Debts is about to start a new chapter in life. Before it begins, he's sharing some thoughts on being financially secure vs financially independent and some of the advantages to the former in “Time Off – The Benefits of Being Financially Secure”
- Is it Time to Take Some Money Off the Table? Physician on Fire has some opinions on this phrase as well as some great advice on what to do with your investing dollars.
- This next topic comes up pretty regularly in the physician blogger world and every time it does, I feel compelled to share it. This time Physician Philosopher is diving pretty deep into it in “What Causes Physician Burnout? The Medscape Survey”. I highly recommend looking at some of the data – pretty interesting. Are you in a specialty with a high burnout rate?
- I've written quite a bit on my own real estate experience and I can't stress enough how crucial it is to educate yourself and do your own due diligence before investing. This week, Bigger Pockets shared “3 Telltale Signs You're Definitely NOT Ready to Invest in Real Estate” and I think it's a pretty good marker for those interested in taking the next step. Experienced RE investors, anything else you'd add to this list?
- Earlier this month I was honored to be a guest on DiverseFI‘s podcast, “What's Up Next”. In this episode, several other financial bloggers and I discussed the role of income in the path to financial independence.
- Ryan Inman from Financial Residency has the answer to one of the most commonly asked questions by physicians. In this recent podcast episode with the White Coat Investor, he shares “The Golden Answer to ‘Pay Off Debt or Invest'”.
A little bit of motivation below. Enjoy and have a great weekend!